Hold a fundraising or recruiting event
An event doesn't have to huge, it just needs a little creativity. In the past MicroBikers have organized a variety of events to spread the word about MicroBike and raise money for their teams. Check out some of the events MicroBikers have put together in the past:
- Held a "yard sale" in the office. Co-workers brought in gently used books, toys, clothing, etc. to sell at their office yard sale, and donated the proceeds to Accion.
- Scooped ice cream, served by senior managers. Organizers spent a little money on ice cream and toppings, then invited the office to stop by, enjoy some treats and make a donation to MicroBike if they wanted too. It's fun to have your boss serve you for a change!
- Ventured out for a pub crawl. Invite your after-hours crowd to a pub crawl and have people make donations to MicroBike.
- Hosted an event at a local restaurant. Find a free event space in your area and ask if there's anything the restaurant will donate or discount- often a venue will donate free appetizers or drinks. If you really want to get involved, ask local business to donate goods or services that can be used as door prizes! Ask a friend's band to come play a few songs or make up some games to get people involved.
- Other event ideas
Is your birthday coming up? Ask family and friends to make donations to MicroBike instead of giving you a gift!
Have a strict business-dress work environment? Check in with your managers and see if you can arrange a "jeans day", where employees pay a small amount ($2-$10) to wear jeans to the office.
You were thinking it, we're just saying: set up that lemonade stand on a hot summer day and donate the proceeds to your ride!
- Have other event ideas that aren't listed? Send them our way and we might post it to our site!
Keep in mind, you are asking for donations to a good cause. Your participation in MicroBike 2012 is helping Accion to bring economic empowerment to millions. That's something to feel good about!